Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Time for a bit of honesty.

I feel pigeon-holed.

I know that while it's possibly a very hypersensitive feeling to run with, it's an honest one.

I've been doing a lot of thinking over the past few days (probably too much) and I feel really bitter toward a lot of people of whom I've had on a pedastel for so long and it is exactly therein that lies the problem.

A lot of it has to do with isolation. I'm far away from the people that I love, that I used to have fun with and I miss it, and I miss them. I feel like no one cares about me or makes an effort anymore. I feel like I'm out of sight and out of mind, yet I don't have the courage to confront people about it. I feel like people look down on me because I'm struggling to find my place in life. Most of my friends are hugely successful within everything that they are doing. Some of my friends have well-established careers and they are so brilliant at what they do -- or studying to become brilliant and well-established.

And here I am, struggling to find a job even as a friggin check-out chick. Why, oh why coles myer must one have to be a rocket scientist to find a job? Do I really have to result to handing in my CV to fast food outlets? Why is it so hard to find a job? I'm trying so hard. All I need is a quick job that I can stand for 3 or 4 months that will help me save a few thousand dollars to fix my car (or buy a new one) and get me out of this damn cess pool.

No one asks me what I'm up to anymore. I feel like I get shelved. People pick me up and put me back down until the next time they're bored, because I slot to everyones life quite well time-wise (on their time, nevermine) because lets face it, I don't have one of my own -- so I have to wait til they have time for me.

I feel like if I confront anyone about it I'll just sound like a whiney brat and I'll get the, "well I have a job." ... well sure, you might have a job and you might have a life, but my time is just as important as yours irrespective of how I like to spend it.

Yes I'm working and yes I love my job, but I really wish it a paying job. I know the experience is good -- but I really need money more than experience because I'm feeling so caved in right now and I need to get out of here in order to fix that. My car registration is due (and I need to decide if I'm keeping it or not) my bank account is depleted except for the very small savings that I do have and the bills keep coming (despite my efforts to try to minimise everything) ... and besides my work for St. Vin during the week to keep me occupied. I'm BORED out of my freaking brain.

And I really want to get into uni and show everyone who might be judging me, that I can become someone and something. And that my time may be used more constructively. Right now, unfortunately I don't have anyone to help me, to get me a job, to help me with money or to even encourage me. But to tell the truth, I really don't want that. I want to be able to say I did this on my own, because I know there will be more satisfaction in it...

I'm just so freaking sick of crying over it -- I just want the situation to end.

This "rough patch" has been lasting so ridiculously long and I just really want more than anything else in the world to be able to get ahead, not to feel so pathetic and failure-like for not being where I should be and for not having any support around me. Because you know what, dear friends, who never call, email or come to see me? I could really use your support and encouragement.

Thanks.
Bye.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

:/

This might shock you, but I'm positive that you're not alone in the 'feeling shelved' department (I definately feel this way many times with regard to my friends, including you). And I'm also quite sure that I'm one of the friends that you're referring to in this entry, but you know what jess, I have never ever felt that I was better than you or didn't have time for you, or rang you up just because I was bored. I just want you to know, that I'm not purposely avoiding being in contact with you, I'm hardly in contact with anyone because I'm always so tired and I just want to sleep (I know that sounds lame, but honestly, there's something physically wrong with me and I constantly feel run down and I'm always sick), but I've never hinted to you that you can't ring me. I told you that I'm always here to talk. Maybe you could make the effort some time to call me or email me.. but you dont. And I don't resent you for that or blame you.. I just think that I shouldn't have to feel guilty for not making an effort if you don't either. I always thought our friendship was strong enough to withstand long periods of being out-of-touch. And obviously I still care about you if I'm reading your journal every chance I get. I love you jess, and I dont want you to feel forgotten.

MJJ Insider said...

well ....

firstly i dont want you to feel guilty and wasnt trying to make anyone feel guilty. and as i said, its probably heightened paranoia cause im so isolated from everyone and everything.

i do see our friendship as the type that sometimes has to withstand time-peroids of not getting to see each other, and yes its true i could have made the calls and emails as well and i dont have any excuse for not except that i (and probably may seem like a stupid cop-out excuse, but again honest) feel like everyone else is going to be too busy to talk. and thats not at all to make you feel guilty but mostly just why I wait for you and others to say you're not busy, you'd like to talk, etc.

not all of this applied to you, in fact, not a lot of it applied to you. im hypersensitive at the best of times and i really know that probably what im feeling other people think is just a reflection of how im viewing myself.

what happened in sydney had a lot to do with the way im feeling now but thats a private matter that ill probably talk to you about thru email or phone.
i dont want you to feel bad dorinny and im sorry if i made you feel bad. maybe i should have come first and said something to you straight, but thats also something else im not really that good at.

its paranoia mostly from being so isolated which makes me feel the way i do. i bet if i were at home living in sydney working from day to day i wouldnt be feeling this highstrung.

Anonymous said...

"People pick me up and put me back down until the next time they're bored, because I slot to everyones life quite well time-wise (on their time, nevermine) because lets face it, I don't have one of my own -- so I have to wait til they have time for me."

I hear you on that one. I'm the one that doesn't have the life, and has far too much spare time on my hands. And selfish or not, I'm tired of having to be the one to make an effort all the time. Surely if I mean anything to them it wouldn't be so hard to make the effort to just hang out? I wouldn't care what - just to know they're interested.

In other words?

I know exactly how you feel.

The only difference is, I'm stuck where I've always been and it doesn't look like I'm going anywhere for a while.

Probably a stupid comment, but I used to just stalk mycareer and the rest until I found things. Local papers, too. Try real estate agents - receptioning is a pretty easy temporary career.

I'm going to add you on MSN right this second. I don't know why I haven't done it before. *hugs*

And LASTLY; stupid ColesMyer and their five billion interviews. I've been through all that too, bleh. Not worth it.

Love and support and encouragement,

xo

Aly