Sunday, December 18, 2005

Forgiving others to be forgiven by God.

I was attending Hillsong AOG church in Sydney earlier this year and was soaking up the atmosphere like a sponge. I like that church, I really do! The music was amazing and I thought the atmosphere was just breathtaking at times. To look around and know that these hundreds, and I suppose sometimes, thousands, of people were here to worship Jesus Christ -- wow.

For me though, something wasn't right about it. I guess it's just a personal thing. I felt out of place if I didn't raise my hands up for the Lord, if I didn't clap to the music or if I didn't jump for Jesus when everyone else was jumping for Jesus. I knew I shouldn't have been feeling like that, but I did. I didn't like watching alter calls. I didn't really understand why you would have to "accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior" if I'd already been baptised (which to my knowledge, washes away all your sins just as devout Christians tell you "accepting Jesus in to your heart" will.)

I continued going simply because I didn't know what else to do, nor did I know anyone else who went to another church. I liked Hillsong because I could get swallowed up in the crowd. I'm ashamed to say that I'm a rather unsociable (mostly just because I am shy and feel socially inept.) and find it hard to respond well to people that I don't know. I was scared of going to a small-type of congregation in case someone would approach me. Silly, I know!

I wanted to go to a more traditional type of Mass and see how that worked for me, as I was starting to read more in to Catholicism (as I was baptised Catholic at two yrs) and to me, it made more sense.

In september I found out that one of my closest aunts was dying of lung cancer. I informed a friend and asked for his prayers, to which he willingly obliged and prayed with me. The night after I went back to church, feeling as though I really needed to be close to God. I waited and waited for a moment where we could pray silently -- but no such time came. I remember in that particular service, we were told by the pastor who and what to pray for - to pray out loud! he requested.

Everyone was praying loudly including the pastor in to the microphone. I felt so distracted that I couldn't even begin to think of what I wanted to ask God for, and before I knew it, the prayers were over and the choir had began to sing their awesome pop-rock worship songs. I felt really disappointed that the place designated for prayer, wasn't really what it seemed. And as I looked around at everyone "jumping for Jesus" with their hands raised to the roof ... I kept thinking of how... fake, it all seemed. I thought about how I had raised my hands at moments because I didn't want to be judged by the people standing around me. I wondered if anyone else felt the same. I don't want to judge anyone's faith or anyone's church at all -- but for me it wasn't right. And perhaps it had something to do with what was going on in my life -- but nothing made sense there.

I had confided in a devout Christian friend that my Aunt wasn't religious at all and that I was scared for her soul. I talked to her about my belief in purgatory to which she blankly told me it didn't exist and that I would just have to accept that some people were going to hell and other's weren't. This deeply disturbed me and made me take a step away, thinking that Jesus could never turn away someone. I prayed with ferver that she could "accept Him" before she died.

I confided in another Catholic friend who told me about The Divine Mercy Chaplet. This gave me such strong hope. I didn't understand it at first, but since my Aunt died, (only about a week later) I have began reading and learning all about The Divine Mercy and St Faustina Kowalska of Poland. The Divine Mercy brings to us many miracles especially to those who are facing death. This is why I have so many links to it. St. Faustina is an amazing and couragous woman who spoke her entire life to Jesus, who kept a diary of her conversations and revelations of our Lord's love for us.

One of the most profound things I came across while reading over some of the miracles of the Divine Mercy was something that Jesus told to Stanley Villavicencio; "You cannot appreciate the beauty of My Mercy unless you experience the misery of sin" and more importantly, that the only sin that God will never forgive is refusing to believe that he can forgive.

This was poignant to me, as my biggest fears when coming in to faith was that God could never possibly forgive my sins for they were too big and too shameful for me to ever have the courage to confess before anyone, let alone my Lord.

Now there is a joy in my heart upon knowing that I should celebrate the confessing of my sins, because Jesus will show me his mercy by forgiving me for things that I am truly sorry for. Whomever I will confess my sins to, is merely the middleman, washing them away on behalf of my Lord and giving me a penance.

And this speaks volumes to me -- if my Lord can forgive me for the things that I feel are almost unforgivable, then, to live In Christ, shouldn't I be doing the same? Forgiving other's for the things that they have inflicted upon me? The answer is clearly yes-- and in order to be forgiven, I must learn to forgive others.

That's all for now, but I do have a prayer request for my dog, however silly it might seem. She's not very well. She's not eating nor is she really drinking anything and I'm very worried about her.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I had to come by and check out your blog. I really REALLY love your conversion story! And I look forward to coming back. Also, it's great to see another Australian blogger!
I too belonged to a Church somewhat simmilar to Hillsong but not so big and converted back to Catholicism last year, so it was great to read about you since some things are quite simmilar.
I will pray for your dog, I love animals, as you know cats, but I love dogs just as much. Hope she feels better soon x

MJJ Insider said...

Carmel, thanks so much for the lovely comment! I looked around for other Aussie catholic bloggers and I found very few!! :)

Which church was it? Was it something like Paradise in Adelaide? (Youre from Adelaide right??)

Thanks for the prayers for my little baby! She's doing better today, praise God! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow Jess. Your immense talent to put your emotions into words really proved themselves here.
I so totally can relate to everything you wrote (though we are different faiths)...the thoughts about Hillsong, your personal insercurities and the great quote - that the greatest sin is refusing to believe that God can fogive.
Going back to my church last week was something prob inspired by you.
I yawned, i was distracted...but i knew that with time that soon would leave.
I cant understand a thing...but what i noticed was firstly that the congregation had little if no "younger generation" except for me. BUt as the hrs went by, wives and husbands, their children - those "forced" to be there- turned up. And it was nice to see that tradition trying being passed on to another genration----> Generation O.

antonia said...

Hi! Just found your blog (through Carmel's). Welcome back home to the Church. I agree with what you said about all the hand waving & clapping in the protestant services...
But nothing in the world beats the Mass, which is on par to having been present at the foot of Jesus' cross on Calvery, & Jesus becomes really & truely present for us!

I will link you to my blog & I really look forward to reading more!
I too am a huge Divine Mercy fan; the Chaplet is so gentle...yet powerful (if that makes sense!)

God Bless,
Your sister in Christ, -x-

MJJ Insider said...

Valan, I can always count on you to say such nice and complimentary things :) The greatest sin is refusing to believe that Jesus will show us his mercy was something that I learned through The Divine Mercy which is a prayer that is offered to everyone, not only Catholics -- which is the true beauty of it!

I'm really proud of you for going back to church and it is sad that you cant understand it :( I wonder why there's not something designed for younger people (generation O) to be able to learn more without having to sit in on things that you dont truly "get" ... Maybe there is? I'm really honoured if I truly did inspire that visit!:) Love you!

Antonia! You are right! And you make perfect sense with your comment about The Divine Mercy. Thanks for the link, I will definitely link you back! I can't wait to meet more friends through this blogspot! :D

xxx
Jessica

Unknown said...

Jessica, we must be online at the same time! I just wanted to answer your question about the Church.
No it wasnt that Church from Adelaide, I also live in the rural part of victoria, my Church was a part of something calld "Christian revival crusade" (CRC) I met great people there but like you found, I knew something was just not sitting totally right etc.
I am really glad to hear that your dog is feeling better, praise God indeed! I love animals big time!
Well I should get myself to bed.
In Christ
Carmel x

MJJ Insider said...

Carmel! I must have confused you with someone else. Oopsie! :) So, rural vic, ey? Am I the only person who finds it so mind numbingly boring? I am so desperate to move back to the big smoke!!! :)

I'm an animal lover two! We have five here at the mo :D

Good night Carmel!

xx

Unknown said...

I find it mindnumbingly boring too. I lived in Melbourne for a few years, loved it! Once im married next year at some time I will be living in the USA, so that will be a huge change from this!