Monday, January 02, 2006

So, so, so burned.

I discovered that another wonderful reward of being Catholic is that we are all a celebratory bunch! I went to Mass on Sunday and it must have been the shortest Mass in history, but it was short and sweet and really good. Afterwards they had a sausage sizzle in honor of the feast of Holy Family. (A bit late, but better late then never!) ... Sausage sizzles are fantastic and so is the church that I attend.

The fact that attending and enjoying Mass and feeling thrilled over a sausage sizzle really made my Sunday would probably seem quite dull to so many, but I don't care.

Last night I saw Narnia with Sharidan. WOW! It was awesome! I loved it. I loved the significance of the story and how it can be likened to the Bible. The friend that I went with (of no religion) commented how Edmond was like Judas. I remember reading Lion, Witch and The Wardrobe when I was in 2nd grade ... I think (or maybe 3rd grade) and I remember thoroughly enjoying it. I didn't however, remember the what happened to Aslan (I'm not going to say it because maybe someone will surf on who's never seen it and I don't wanna spoil it lol) and so picture two girls who had been whispering things (quietly, btw. I can't stand it when people talk through movies and you can hear them. My friend and I are considerate.) all through the movie, trying to lighten the fact that we both wanted to cry anytime something bad happened -- all of a sudden just bursting in to tears when Aslan went to surrender himself. Terrible, terrible stuff.

By the way. If at around 7:30 last night, you were at the Jam Factory in Chapel Street, sitting in roughly... Oh I don't know, row H in Cinema 8 at Village and you talked loudly in front of me all the way through Narnia which I had been really, really excited to see-- you are very lucky that you didn't wear my popcorn!!!!!! Please, foghorn, may that be warning (such a scary one at that lol) never to speak loudly in the middle of a serious movie again!!!

So today, Sharidan and I thought it would be a great idea to go to Brighton Beach. I have never been to a beach in Melbourne before (or Victoria for that matter) so we got there around 12 (my first time driving through St Kilda and all those places, too which was a bit scary but I got us there unscathed, without being ploughed in to by a tram - my irrational fear #248934) and of course being the the bright spark that I am, I never took sunscreen. I didn't think it'd turn out to be so hot (after all Victoria has the lamest summers in the entire world. LAME!) but alas, I was decieved by the weatherman and it was actually around 30 degrees despite the blantant 21 degree LIE! Now, I know 30 degrees isn't really that hot, it's just Victorians thinking that they've met with a heat wave (always trying to keep up with Sydney, blast them!) and so, I played along. I sat in the sun with my white flowey skirt, hiking it up to get some sun to my snow-white legs (I don't think they've seen the sun since 1956) and we ate gelato, listened to lame songs on our mobile phones (how funny that even while we're outdoors we're playing with technology. Can't ever go without it....) and read our own respective books. It was lovely. About 2 hrs in to the trip, Sharidan commented on how burned my shoulders were. I told her it couldn't have been from today, since I was burned just the other day-- but no. A burn on top of a burn and bikini line that looks like it was painted on in white paint.

Oh, I can just feel the melanoma gathering under my skin. Splendid.

So finally I decided to bite the bullet and go for a swim even though I didn't have my proper swimsuit or a towel. I decided I'd just go to my knees... but the water was so warm, which was another surprise. So I dispensed of all clothing (except for my bathing suit top, and pants!!!) and ruined my perfectly straightened hair. I swam for about half an hour (alone. my friend wouldnt come in :() and then decided it was time to leave. By then it was about 4 pm and I realised how burned I really was.

So, the 2 hr drive back to Traralgon was fun. I was so burned. My knees especially. I stopped off to buy a bottle of water to rest on them so they wouldn't hurt.

Does the term, lobster mean anything to anyone? Yes. I look like a lobster. Well my knees do. At least my shoulders look nicely tanned. Nothing hurts except my knees, but I know I've got a bit of sunstroke cause I'm freezing cold, but I'm also really quite hot, and I don't know if I'm coming or going and it hurts.

And to top it off, we got lost coming back. I almost ended up in the city and I left my St. Faustina book in my friends bag and she lives over 1.5hr away :( I guess I won't get it back for at least a week or so. I have another book to read at the moment, so I guess it's okay, but I want it back now!

And so that was my weekend in a rather large and rant-like nutshell. I have nothing deep, intense or further to add as I think my brain was fried along with the rest of my body.

It's time to put some cream to my burns and take my brainless, sunscreen-less, idiotic butt to bed. God Bless!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

antonia said...

Hi there! I am happy you managed to get to Mass! There ain't nothing in the world like Mass! :-)

ouch!! The sunburn sounds quite bad. When i live in Saudi I got a bad sunburn on a couple of occasions....all I can say is....never again! OW! I remember how much it hurts!

But seirouly...be careful! I don't want anything bad to happen to you!

Best wishes with the pain-ing skin! Hope it recovers soon!
loadsa love,
antonia
-x-x-x-

ps- HAPPY 2006!!!

xxxxxxxx

Unknown said...

glad to hear that you had a good time at mass and got to eat some sausage too! What a great idea.
Careful in the harsh Australian sun gal! Sending you some imaginary aloe vera
xxx