Saturday, March 04, 2006

Personal morals & every day things...

There's some things that I'm doing to try to improve my life at the moment and they're making me feel really good. Some of them are really challenging, and takes a lot of hard work, but at the end of the day I know I'm a better person for them. And so these are some of the things I'm doing, but was wondering if anyone else has some kind of basic personal laws that they try to live by every day. For me, every day I wake up every morning and ask God to give me the strength to fullfil the day as He would will it and to give me the strength throughout whatever situations that may occur to remain righteous.

My list is...

1. When someone is annoying or seemingly unintelligent, stupid without good cause to not make fun, not belittle but rather be patient and kind.
This one is so hard because I find it so hard to deal with stupid people (I know that's mean, but I have such little patience for people who aren't bright), especially when they just don't get things. But sometimes it's not their fault and it doesn't help when people belittle you for it. And its also hard because I used to throw insults for fun.

2. Before laughing cruelly at someone else for their misfortune, take stock of own misfortune.
Another hard one, especially when it involves someone that I've felt / feel disdain for. However, I just think about how crap things have been for me and how gutted I would feel if I found out people were laughing at me and just waiting to see something bad happen to me, because ultimately I think I'm a good person in most respects. (But doesn't everyone think that about themselves???)

3. When someone doesn't share the same opinion or doesn't understand the logic and sensibility in something, be patient and kind.
Ew this is the one I hate because I can't stand it when people don't see things my way, because essentially my opinion is the only one that counts and the only one I care about hearing. But, it's really good to sometimes just sit back, swallow pride and try to hear something from another perspective and maybe gain an insight as to where other people's minds are at. And again, think of how I would like someone heckling or belittling me because I don't share the same sentiments on a subject.

4. Don't curse anyone else out, or swear for the sake of swearing.
Probably easily the most difficult daily rule for me because I previously swore like a sailor. Each time I go to swear (consciously) think to myself, "Is this word really necessary? Is there another word you can replace it with?" ... It doesn't always have the same effect, unfortunately, but at the end of the day I think about when I go out and I see a bunch of sweet looking girls around my age swearing and letting them fly, I realise how cheap and tacky it sounds - and I'm not cheap nor am I tacky.

5. Think before speaking.
This is a pretty good one because there's been so many times where I've opened my mouth and sprouted off things without thinking of the impact it could have on another person, or how it would make me sound. If I think before reacting but rather acting on impulse, I know I've conducted myself with perfect decorum and dignity.

6. Give forgiveness.
There's been a lot of people over the past year that have really ruined things for me and drove me in to depression for awhile. I held so much animosity toward these people for so long, but a couple of months ago I was just able to "let go" and feel indifference to it all instead of anger and hurt and I realised that harbouring animosity takes so much energy and its more cutting to not give that person thought at all. However, just months later some of those people came to me and apologized for everything that they caused me, admitting to some things I wasn't sure they ever did -- and it felt so much better to say, "You're forgiven. Don't worry about it, let's move on." This is not to say that I'm inviting them back in my life, or letting anyone walk all over me, but these people are not even worthy of ANY of my energy whether it be negative OR positive.

7. Always listen.
When someone needs advice, needs to vent, needs to cry. Be selfless enough to put your own crap aside for 10 minutes to hear someone out. Every person has his own set of problems and to each person his or her set of problems are as important as your own and are as worthy of your attention as your own. In order to be helped, you have to be willing to help others.

8. Do one good deed per day.
Be it a prayer for a stranger, a donation to charity, a favour, offer help, cheer someone up, make lunch for someone, buy someone something. Anything that will serve someone else for the greater good and bring them happiness.

I end my day with The Divine Mercy Chaplet, a short prayer of thanks and a passage from The Bible.

Of course there's always some slip ups and you can't just always be passive, but anger for a reasonable cause is better than being angry for no cause at all.


Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.

For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.



God Bless, Jess :)

4 comments:

tonymyles said...

That's a great list! Keep after it.

Cate said...

This is a lovely list of compassionate things! Good for you!

Anonymous said...

I didnt do it
You cant prove it
Nobody saw me
The sheep are lying

MJJ Insider said...

LOL!

I hope it goes well for you!